Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Great Whales and What I Want to Be When I Grow Up

Man, did I hit the snooze alot this morning. Almost didn't have any time to do small and simple things.

I had wanted to do some exercise from the On Demand feature on my TV, even picked one out last night that I wanted to use. Isn't it amazing, however, that while we cannot find our keys in our purse, no matter how small the purse or how large the keys/key ring, we can find a tiny little snooze button, three feet away, in the dark, with our eyes closed in about 1 second? Over and over again ;-)

But I did get up and do my old, stand by, Richard Simmons Never Say Diet exercises. I've done them enough in the past that I don't have to look at the wacky pictures of Richard showing the exercises. It's also quick enough that I could feel like a I did something and still get a shower and get to work on time.

So ... I have tons of things on my "To Do List" for 2010 and I was thinking to myself this weekend, "What do I want to be when I grow up?" I mean ... I work, I'm trying to start a business, I volunteer, I serve in church, I want to get my craft mojo going again, and quite frankly, have about a 100 different other things that I'd like to do this year. So, I was having a conversation with God this weekend about that very thing and surmised during our time together that I really should be figuring out one or both of the two following scenarios ... 1) What He wants me to do and/or 2) What I was sent here to do.

I decided that was a really good idea, but didn't stick around to get any further direction on the subject. Really? Really. I'm not sure I'm ready to find out what I was really sent here to do or what He wants me to do because that knowledge will be more than I'm prepared to accept right now. Can't I just do what I want to do? Yes, I know that I've been questionably successful on the things that I want to do ("perfection paralysis" again), but the idea of doing what someone else wants me to do is um, frustrating at best and really darned annoying ... even if the One doing the telling is the all-powerful Creator of the Universe.

So I went about my merry little way ... and promptly got slapped in the face by what I was supposed to be doing. Now, I haven't figured it all out yet, so I'm keeping it myself. I've got to work through the concept that was presented and my unbelievably prideful and selfish nature that must be crushed to make it work. Ouch! It is going to be hard. I even told God in another conversation that I wasn't really happy with the information He shared. I don't think He saw it as that difficult. And, for at least a few days so far, He's made it a little easier to start.

The amazing thing is that I really believe if I do what He wants me to do, the mission I was sent here to do, the person He wants me to be, then I think I will have time to do more of the things that I want to do. Of course, I want it to happen really fast but I fear I'll be waiting a while.

Oh, and what's with the "great whales." I was reading Moses 2 and it just struck me that the only specifically called out animal on the 4th Day is great whales. Why would the Lord specifically call out only the whales. (Moses does mention winged fowl, creeping things and cattle later.) Well, I learned that it probably means something more. And when I think about the instruction I received from God about my role, I KNOW that it means something more.

I'm not aspiring to be a "great whale" ... I'm pretty close to that already anyway ;-) ... but I think I'm working to be called out for something great, in my own sphere of influence, once I humble myself enough to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment